1. The Pikul Group is recruiting a post-doctoral scholar! We are looking to fill the position by June 2021.
In this role, you will:
- Complete independent and team research projects towards the goal of developing bio-mimetic energy storage and conversion systems for robots.
- Use electrochemistry to extract energy from metal and organic fuels.
- This project is funded by Dr. Pikul’s Moore Inventor Fellowship.
- Participate in writing research proposals, reports, patent applications, presentations, and publications, providing critical data, figures or information for grant and patent submissions
- Interact with a vibrant group of students across fields from robotics to energy storage and conversion.
You will need:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering or a related discipline.
- Must demonstrate broad theoretical and practical knowledge within the fields of mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or electrochemistry.
- Strong scientific track record demonstrating well-organized design and execution of studies.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong work ethic, communication skills, and team-player oriented personality.
We are looking for a candidate with strong expertise in a few of the following areas, and a willingness to learn new skills outside of your current discipline to accomplish project goals. It would be terrific if you have experience in all of them, but this is not necessary, we can teach you what you don’t know.
- Strong understanding of electrochemistry, fuel cells, metal-air batteries, and/or lithium ion batteries.
- Experience with ion and electron transport models and engineering design.
- Experience with microfluidics.
- Experience with soft robotics, actuators, and/or sensors.
- Experience building a mechanical or electrical device that achieved a programmed output.
- 3D printing experience.
- Experience with electrochemical, mechanical, and/or electron microscopy characterization
If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications, please contact James Pikul via email with a description of your interests and experience and a copy of your CV.
2. The Pikul Group is looking for graduate students with interest in soft robotics, self-assembly, energy, multifunctional materials, and batteries.
Our group works on a mixture of problems in energy storage, energy conversion, and manufacturing as applied to a variety of applications, including robotics, batteries, and medicine. We are very interdisciplinary, with activities in electrochemistry, design and manufacturing, instrumentation and control, materials science, and mechanics. We are always recruiting top students in a wide variety of fields. If you are interested in joining the group please contact James Pikul via email with a description of your interests and experience and a copy of your CV.
Interested post-doctoral scholars should consider applying to the Vagelos Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship or Provost’s Postdoctoral Fellowships for Academic Diversity. If you are interested, please contact James Pikul with a description of why you are a good fit for one of these programs and a copy of your CV.